5 Ways To Get Healthier Hair
Youthful, luscious hair will always be a must-have beauty trend. Coarse and brittle hair is difficult to style and can affect your overall look. Get back to the basics to revitalize your hair. The end result will give you a healthier glow all around.
- Little to No Heat: This can be hard for those of us who have naturally frizzy hair. Too much heat can fry your hair strands, which is why they become brittle and break off. This doesn’t mean that you don’t have to walk around with bed-head all day to avoid the heat. Start by eliminating one heating product. For example, let your hair air dry, and then style it with a curling iron. Or, you can purchase a hair dryer that has a cool dry option. It will take longer to dry, but it won’t be as damaging to your hair. On days where you know you’re just going to Netflix and chill, forget the heat altogether and let your hair just be. Style it up with braids or wraps to give your hair a deserved break.
- Don’t Wash Everyday: I know–sounds gross, right? I don’t mean your body. Please bathe everyday–but, you don’t have to shampoo your hair everyday. Leave the natural oils from your scalp on your hair for an extra day or two. You’ll go through a few greasy days until your scalp adjusts to the new routine. There are great hairstyles for the non-washing days right here. If it’s killing you, try dry shampoo to get you over the hump.
- Probiotics/Vitamins: Your hair and nails are an outward expression of how healthy your diet is. If you are lacking in a major food group, you can wind up with slow-growing, unhealthy hair. Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp and hair follicles. Give your body all it needs with the added support of vitamin supplements. Fish oil, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Keratin, and more. Usually you can find hair, skin, and nails vitamin supplements in one easy pill at your nearest drug store. When your body has all of the building blocks that it needs, you’ll get stronger, more luscious hair that will grow fast.
- Healthy Oils: Support your hair from the outside in by treating it with oil masks. About once a month, give your hair a special oil mask. You can make these at home with household items, or you can purchase hair mask products. Oils, such as coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado have natural omega-3’s which support your hair. Massage these oils into the scalp and run in through to the ends. Wrap your hair and let it sit for at least 20 mins, or as long as overnight (Don’t do the avocado overnight–yuck). Afterwards, give your hair a good wash, and see how healthy your hair feels.
- Trim off Dead-Ends: It may seem counterintuitive. If you want your hair to grow, then you don’t want to cut it, right? Wrong. Getting your hair regularly trimmed will remove the dead-ends which can help your hair grow longer faster. Dead ends are prone to breaking, which will do damage to your hair. By removing them, you let your hair grow faster.
Getting the long, luscious locks that you’re after isn’t difficult, but it can take a little practice. The main part is becoming comfortable with letting your hair be more natural. Believe me… your natural look is gorgeous, so let your hair down long!